Friday, July 17, 2009

Summer Salsa



















If you like salsa, you need to give yourself a taste treat and make homemade salsa!

Last year was the first year I gave it a try. I guess I thought it might not be worth the effort, but it's amazing. My first try, we had been given lots of very ripe heirloom tomatoes that needed to be used quickly. I think I made about 10 cups of salsa that day. I had no idea how we could possibly eat all that salsa, but, amazingly, we did. That fresh, summer-tomato taste just can't be duplicated in a jar.

Summer Salsa

3C tomatoes (approximately), seeded and chopped*
3/4t salt, or to taste
1/4t pepper, or to taste
1/4t ground cumin
1/2 small sweet onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, diced and then smushed w/ back of knife using a dash of kosher salt to help pulverize it
1 or more jalapenos, or other hot peppers of your choice, diced
2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1t olive oil (optional)

Mix all ingredients in a bowl and refrigerate at least 2 hours until serving.

*I strain out the seeds and save the juice for something else. You could drink it, as is, add to your homemade tomato sauce, soup or anything else you'd like. It's so delicious that it's a waste to throw it away!

No comments:

Post a Comment