Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Healthy Chex Mix


Who doesn't like Chex Mix? The problem is that when I make up a huge batch, I like it SO much that I end up eating most of it myself over the next few days and getting not only the cereal, which isn't too bad, but a huge amount of butter, which I definitely do not need!

This morning I thought I'd try making a lower fat version. I'd like to make this when I stay with Kelly and Clint after Eleanor's birth so she can munch on a treat while nursing and still lose the baby weight she wants to.

I hadn't seen a Chex Mix version using only spray olive oil, but how bad could it be? It turned out great, and today that was my lunch. (It's still addictive ...)

Healthy Chex Mix

1 1/2 - 2 cups of each of these cereals: Wheat Chex, Rice Chex and Corn Chex
1/4 cup (or more, if desired) walnuts
Olive oil spray (can also combine with butter spray)
Salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder and worcestershire sauce

Preheat oven to 180 degrees.

In a large bowl, combine cereals and nuts. Spray top layer with olive oil spray, and sprinkle with all seasonings. Mix with spoon. Repeat with each new top layer until mixture glistens. Taste to make sure you're not getting the mixture too salty.

Spread in large cookie sheet with sides that has been sprayed with olive oil. Bake 15 minutes and stir mixture. Place back in oven and repeat until Chex Mix has been baked a total of one hour and is crispy.

No comments:

Post a Comment