Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Chocolate Cherry Oatmeal Cookies



I really like these cookies and have never tried anything quite like them. This summer I was playing around with oatmeal cookie recipes and I had some dried cherries, so I tried adding them instead of raisins. A few more tries and I came up with this delicious and unique recipe. I'm going to take some to Kelly and Clint when I head down Friday for the birth!!



Chocolate Cherry Oatmeal Cookies

1 stick butter (1/2C), softened
1/4C sugar
1/2C packed light brown sugar
1 large egg
½ t vanilla
¼ t almond extract
½ t baking soda
¼ t salt
¾ C flour
1 ½ C oats, uncooked
1C dried cherries (I plump them first, soaking in water or compatible juice that is heated in microwave – pour off all juice)
1+ C chocolate chips
½ C walnuts or pecans (You can add more, but it will make for a more chunky, firm cookie)

Preheat oven to 350.

In large bowl, mix butter and both sugars until creamy – usually 3 to 5 minutes. Beat in egg and then extracts. Add baking soda and salt, mix, and then add in flour. Mix til combined but don’t overmix. Stir in oats, cherries, chocolate chips and nuts til well combined.

Drop by teaspoon or tablespoon onto ungreased cookie sheet or cookie sheet with silpat, about 1 ½ inches apart. Bake until tops are golden brown, around 10 minutes for teaspoon-sized cookies and 13 or so for tablespoon-sized. Cool completely on wax paper or wire rack before storing.

No comments:

Post a Comment