Thursday, November 25, 2010

Stuffing with a Twist





















I love stuffing. Actually I love all the Thanksgiving side dishes and could do without the turkey. I learned how to make stuffing from my Dad when I was a young teen. Even then I liked to cook and I'm so glad that I stood by his side and watched so that when it came my turn, not all that many years later, to serve Thanksgiving dinners, I was ready. Adding rye bread is a bit of a twist on Dad's original recipes but the basics remain. Happy Thanksgiving!!


Stuffing with a Twist

1/2 loaf boule bread (or French bread) and 1/2-1 loaf seeded rye
1/2 -1 lb. sweet sausage, removed from casing
2-3 C celery, chopped
2-3C large onions, chopped
1/2-1 stick butter
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon dried sage or 2 teaspoons fresh sage, minced
1 T poultry seasoning
Optional -- 1/2 t cayenne (or more) if you like your stuffing to have a bit of a kick

2 cups cooked white rice
1 sleeve crushed saltines (or Ritz crackers)
Chicken stock to moisten (usually at least a box of chicken stock)
3 eggs, beaten
¼ - ½ stick butter cut into small pats

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Cook sausage in a large skillet and drain off most of the fat. Add butter, celery, onions and seasonings and sauté until soft. Remove from heat and add bread, rice and saltines to pan, stirring to mix. Add stock til moist (not sopping, but good and moist) and mix well. Taste for seasoning. Add the beaten eggs and mix well.

Pour stuffing into a greased pan, top with pats of butter, and bake until cooked through and golden brown, about 45 minutes

Make Ahead Tips:

  • Up to a month ahead: Cube bread and dry slowly in 200 degree oven. Must be thoroughly dry before cooling and saving in zip lock storage bag.
  • Stuffing can be fully prepared a day or two ahead of time and then baked when you need it. Allow extra time for baking.

No comments:

Post a Comment