Monday, June 22, 2009

Simple Sweet Refrigerator Pickles

I never tried my hand at pickling until last year when a friend gave us so many organic cucumbers that I didn't know what else to do with them.

Well, they were very popular around my house, especially with Grandma who could eat one jar at a sitting!

Another great thing is they last a long time without canning. I kept pickles in the fridge almost all year and they were still perfect.

Needless to say, when Matt and I went to the Farmer's Market this past Saturday morning and I saw my favorite curvy, spiky cucumbers I bought all of them.

Sweet Refrigerator Pickles

12 C sliced cucumbers (approximately -- I used 10 cucumbers)
2 C white vinegar
4 C sugar
2 T salt
2T celery seed

Heat vinegar, sugar, salt, and celery seed to boiling, until sugar is totally dissolved.
Slice cucumbers and put in very large heat-safe bowl.
Pour vinegar sugar mixture over cucumbers.
Ladle into glass canning-style jars, making sure pickles are mostly covered.
Store in the refrigerator. (It's best to wait a week or so -- if you can -- before eating.)

No comments:

Post a Comment